Saturday, March 8, 2008

Almond milk


Out of curiosity, I bought a carton of almond milk last night. It's lower in fat and calories than cow's milk, and I had been wondering what it tasted like.

Be warned: at $2.29 for a quart, it's not cheap. I've heard, but not confirmed, that my beloved Trader Joe's sells it for $1.99 per quart. [Edited to add: Confirmed!] So it's not a bargain by any stretch of the imagination. I thought it worth mentioning, though, in case anyone else had been interested in trying it but didn't want to spend so much on something that might be yucky.

I mixed it with some chocolate flavored powdered nutritional drink and sure enough, it tasted a little nutty! It was a little bit sweet and had a taste that I can best describe as dense.

The greatest benefit is that it has a life span of several months instead of several days.

You can also make your own almond milk, which sounds like it could be fun.

No comments: