I made pasta puttanesca for dinner the night before last.
(I kind of got a kick out of the fact that the name means "Pasta the way a whore would make it." Hee hee.)
The best part is that it's quick and easy!
- 1/2 lb penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped capers
- about 12 kalamata olives, chopped
- 1-14oz can Italian-style tomatoes
- handful of chopped parsley
- ground black pepper
- shredded Parmesan
- Start the pasta cooking according to the package directions.
- Heat the olive oil and saute the garlic and chili pepper for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the capers and olives, cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and parsley. Lower the heat, simmer for 5 minutes. Add ground black pepper to taste.
- Add some of the pasta cooking liquid to the sauce. Drain the pasta, add the sauce, and toss. Sprinkle the Parmesan over the individual servings of pasta.
- Don't drain the tomatoes!
- Next time I make this, I'm going to add the sliced zucchini and yellow squash that's in my freezer. Mm!
- At step 3, you can add some fully-cooked chicken or tuna. I used an 8-oz package of Trader Joe's Chickenless Strips.
- It makes enough for 2 hungry people, or 4 if you make it with soup and/or salad.