Sunday, April 27, 2008

Quesadillas reloaded


Sometimes I find a recipe that looks like it would have potential if it weren't only halfway finished, like this one for veggie quesadillas.

I mean, for one thing, it refers to onions in the directions but not in the ingredients.

For another, it looks bland and not too healthy.

My fixes:
  • Added a small red onion, halved end-to-end and sliced along the short side.
  • Used olive oil instead of vegetable oil for the flavor and health benefits (in moderation, olive oil is good for your heart!).
  • Browned the quesadillas without oil to avoid needless fat.
  • Added the juice of 1 lime for extra-tangy flavor.
  • Added 1 clove of garlic halfway through cooking the peppers and onions -- and I'm not ashamed to admit that I cheated and used minced garlic from a jar to save time.
  • Used chili-flavored tortillas.
  • Substituted low-fat Mexican 4-cheese blend.
  • Used fresh deli salsa.

Next time:
  • Add some chopped cilantro, because I put it in everything.
  • Serve with low-fat sour cream for dipping.
  • Try a mango or habanero salsa.

And the result? A deliciously tangy, slightly spicy, absolutely incredible quesadilla.

Just ignore what the recipe says about taking 50 minutes from start to finish. They probably took my advice from the last post about drinking wine while cooking. I did this in half an hour.

(Pssst. Voga pinot grigio? PLEH! I've had $3 wines that taste better. This stuff was harsh and too tangy with an alcohol bite that I can only describe as excessive. We didn't even finish it. Standard disclaimers about preferring sweet beverages apply.)

No comments: