Friday, February 8, 2008

So I finally found basil the other day. I had to find a stocker to dig it out of the back room for me, and when he came back, he handed me a ginormous plastic tub of it (okay, about 4 ounces, but do you know how many leaves that is?!).

I got to make my bruschetta last night, and it was a bit disappointing. I just used 6 diced Roma tomatoes, 1/3 cup of basil, some freshly ground sea salt and black pepper, a garlic clove minced very fine, and a couple tablespoons of olive oil. I let it sit for an hour for the flavors to blend, but... blah. I think the garlic was just too much, and it needed some Parmesan sprinkled on top of the individual bruschetta.

The tortilla pizza was great, though. Now, this is something worth making:
  • 1 large flour tortillas
  • 1/4 cup shredded Italian cheese (I used an Italian 5-cheese blend)
  • 2 tablespoons (ish) of feta cheese
  • 1 tablespoon (ish) of finely chopped basil
  • 1 diced Roma tomato
Sprinkle the shredded cheese onto the tortilla, then the feta, basil, and tomato; bake at 400 until the cheese is gooey and the tortilla is golden and crispy.

Now I have a bunch of basil, feta cheese, and tomatoes at home. It's salads for lunch tomorrow!

No comments: