Tuesday, February 26, 2008

You know, I learned something today...



I love Costco. Nowhere else (with the possible exception of the Old Country Buffet) can food be found in such gluttonous quantities for so little money.

We have a bag of rice so large that I could use it to work out. Don't ask me what two people are going to do with 15 pounds of white rice -- it seemed like a good idea at the time.

My mom froze food a lot when I was growing up. Find some bread or cheese on sale? Throw it in the freezer! And that's why I love Costco: they have so much cheap, tasty food that I can freeze for later.

With apologies to Ron White, I'm telling you that story so I can tell you this story:

The ciabatta rolls were perfect when I thawed them. So were the ham steaks and chicken thighs.

The cheese, though? My wonderful, delicious, 2-pound block of pepper jack cheese? Not so much.

Oh, it tasted just fine. But when I tried to shred it, it crumbled. When I tried to slice it, it crumbled. When I got over the initial disappointment (I wanted slices!), I realized how great crumbled cheese would look in a salad.

So if crumbling cheese is so easy, why do cheese companies try to sell us pre-crumbled cheese for more than the cost of regular cheese?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.