Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Veggie tacos! Because when it comes to meat, I have prohibitively expensive taste.


I'm what you might call a reluctant omnivore.

Growing up, I didn't get any meat aside from hot dogs and stuff -- my family couldn't afford it. When I did get meat, it was usually something like a pot roast, which, ew. Meat flavored chewing gum, much?

So, meat politics aside, I never got into the whole carnivore thing. As I got older, people would sometimes notice my meat aversion and ask me, "Are you vegetarian?" To which I responded, "I'm not really a vegetarian, I just don't like to eat meat." To which they responded, "That's what vegetarian means, dummy!" Well, not really, I tend to think that vegetarianism usually entails meat politics, which... meh, whatever.

And then, eventually, I discovered a simple formula: meat + any alcohol whatsoever = vomit. Further, meat = body feeling funny. Then I read about what goes into meat. So I decided to stop eating meat. And I got looked at funny for that, too.

Whatever, I can't win.

The point is, I'll eat good meat. I will happily eat good meat. I will go all OM NOM NOM NOM on its ass. I'm flexible. But you gotta understand, I mean really good meat. We're talking grass fed, free-range, organic meat. You know, that stuff that's prohibitively expensive for most people, including me.

Holy crap, I just spent how long writing a defense of my dislike for meat?

Long story short, when it comes to meat, I have expensive taste.

So last night, I took a couple of veggie burgers and cooked them up much as one would cook ground beef, and used them for tacos. It was actually really tasty. You just kind of heat it a little, then chop it up with your spatula and cook the crumbles.


It's not going to fool my "vegetables are the stuff that food eats!" friends
, but it sure was tasty.

The best part? The taco sauce I whipped up!


Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 chipotles in adobo sauce, chopped
  • about 1 teaspoon of the adobo sauce
  • 1/3 cup sour cream
  • juice of 1 lime
  • pinch of garlic powder
  • pinch of onion powder
Directions
  1. Using a fork, stir all the ingredients together.
  2. Adjust adobo sauce, garlic powder, and onion powder to taste.
  3. Does this really need to be a list? It's super easy!

No comments: